Muffler Repair Service in Waterloo since 1993.
We’ve all heard a car or truck in our Waterloo neighborhood that needs a new muffler from a nearby muffler shop. But there’s more to the exhaust system than just the muffler.
The muffler (exhaust system) has three main functions:
- To safely get hot exhaust from the engine out the tailpipe
- Treats the exhaust to remove harmful pollutants
Muffle the engine noise
- Exhaust fumes are poisonous. You don’t want it getting into the passenger compartment. For example, carbon monoxide can be deadly. That’s why you should never run your engine in a closed garage. If you have a leak in the exhaust system, exhaust could get into the passenger cabin and make you sick or even kill you.
If you smell exhaust in the vehicle, roll down your windows and get it inspected. You may smell or see exhaust coming from the engine compartment or under the vehicle if you have a leak. Sometimes the sound from an exhaust leak is loud and obvious. Sometimes it’s a ticking sound when you start the engine that goes away as you drive. That could be a small crack or a bad fitting that leaks when it’s cold but seals up when the metal heats and expands.
Now, let’s address the environmental issues for our community. Exhaust fumes contain a number of pollutants and particulates. The catalytic converter scrubs some of those harmful substances. And diesel vehicles have systems to deal with soot.
Catalytic converters eventually wear out and need to be replaced. They’re expensive so you want to help them last as long as possible by keeping the fuel system clean and replacing your air filter. These components need to be tested for function with an emissions test from time to time.
And that leaves the muffler. The beauty of getting a new muffler is that you can suit your taste: Some want whisper quiet and others like a little rumble. And some like a roar when they drive down our Waterloo streets. Looking for a muffler shop? Give us a call or Make an online appointment today.
Driving Directions from Waterloo & Area
If you’re coming from Waterloo, it takes only 12min by car and it’s quite simple.
- Get on ON-85 S in Waterloo from Erb St E.
- Take the Wellington St/ON-7 E exit toward Victoria St/Frederick St
- Turn right onto Edna St/ON-7
- Turn right onto Victoria St N/ON-7
- Techline Motors will be on your left